Sunday, October 17, 2010

Type 2 Diabetes Friendly Mexican Food?

Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org


Question: I have type 2 diabetes and love Mexican food. Could you give me some tips on what to order at my favorite Mexican restaurant?


Answer: Dining out can quickly become a challenge if not handled correctly. Especially since portion sizes have expanded and you might not be aware of all the ingredients a dish contains! I have lost count of how many times I have asked a waiter/waitress if I dish contains onion for example (as i strongly dislike them) and have been told no onion, only to receive them in my dish! Ok, that is my soap box for today... but I still encourage you to ask so you can try to make an informed decisions. Many restaurants are offering low carb options, that are even directly stated on the menu. Portion size is a big carb trap though, so be aware that most dishes are 2+ portions actually. Below are some general good guidelines to be aware of  and remember to savor and enjoy your meal alittle too :)




Avoid the following diabetes meal plan busters:
  • dishes made with fried tortillas (chimichangas, taquitos, empanadas)
  • refried beans with cheese/queso
  • sour cream
  • excess tortilla chips
  • "sweet" alcohol drinks like cocktails
  • ground beef dishes
  • large platters of nachos

Enjoy these Mexican items instead:
  • beans, grilled chicken, or steak (not ground beef) fillings
  • entrees made with soft flour tortillas (burritos, tostadas, carnitas)
  • grilled lime-flavored shrimp
  • bean enchiladas with cilantro and onions on top
  • tasty salsas
  • fresh sauteed veggies
  • a small amount of guacamole or fresh avocado salad
  • grilled chicken or steak fajitas - lunch portions are great options
  • fresh salads with grilled chicken (skip the giant tortilla shell)
  • tortilla soup

No comments:

Post a Comment